Monday, March 23, 2009

In my previous life

I was an elementary teacher. My greatest influence in this career move was my 4th grade teacher, Ms. Boyd. She was absolutely amazing, and of course worked so hard for her students to come out of elementary school absolutely in love with school, and her!

I remember a lot of things about my fourth grade year and as a fourth grade teacher, I really tried to implement some of those things into my classroom as well. We played bingo with spelling words and the winners got great prizes, we baked an old fashioned spice cake with the same ingredients used in the spice cake made in Johnny Tremain, we made our own books of poetry including all types of poems we learned about. It was a lot of fun. It was a lot of work.

I had the honor of completing a questionaire this morning for one of my former students. She is in high school now, and has made the decision to become a fourth grade teacher...because of me. There is something so humbling about it. I am deeply moved by the fact that because of my influence in her life, she would, like me, strive to be like the teacher that meant so much to her.
Rarely in life is a person allowed to know who they have influenced. This is one of those rare moments I will treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment